Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mumbai Attacks

The last three days have been one of the toughest in my life. I saw more than 200 people mercilessly gunned down by 8 to 10, 20-25 year old young well-built men. The whole suburb of south Mumbai seemed to burn….

Strangely unlike getting angry and expressing anguish I was feeling compassionate towards the killers. And at the back of my mind a vacuum was getting filled in. My mind was not ready to think anything. All I felt was grief for the dead and compassion for the red fisted terrorists.

Throughout the media we are reading about this gruesome attack. And this cacophony will sound for some more days. My fear is, like every other incident of attacks before; this also shall go and hide in the memory of the people. No concrete actions shall be taken and it will be back to square one again. This is what has happened in India. The media coverage, arguments, salvaging assurances by politicians, cabinet meetings and some improvised actions. The fuming is just for a few days and after a months time, things are seen the same again.

I hope my fear is unfounded and it will be proved false. And the Government takes concrete steps to tackle the menace. These steps have to be taken on two fronts. One External and other which is more important, the Internal one. Externally its important to ensure security from attacks like the once we have already faced and internally safeguarding the integrity of the people and integrity of the nation. Only such composite approach can assure our country is insulated from such diabolical attacks in future.

Going along these lines, I am thinking what can I do for tackling this issue. I can definitely be an instrument to strengthen the communal harmony in the neighboring society. Motivate people to love and respect not only their respective religions but also respect other religions as well, for the only reason because every religion has tested time and made millions of people feel happy and blessed. I want to educate people to be more responsible for their actions. Inspire them to work for their country first and then for themselves….

I am still exploring my way of what to do… However one thing I have realized. Life is never going to be the same again for me. I have to dig deep and get the right attitude and spirit in me and work for my country….

No comments: