Saturday, July 26, 2014

Honesty Learnt At A Vegetable Shop

An interesting event happened today. I was in a grocery shop to buy vegetables. There were a variety of vegetables including ladies finger, carrots, brinjals, onions, raddish, some Indian root plants and many more. The shopkeeper was busy weighing the vegetable items and writing the amounts against them on a piece of paper. At the end he would tally the bill to charge the customer.

I was busy picking my vegetables. But my attention was drawn by a well-built man who insisted the vendor to check the bill correctly. He brought to his notice that he was charged more last time he visited the shop. Reluctantly the shopkeeper checked bill and retorted Rs 334/-. The man promptly gave him the money with change and left the shop.

A few minutes had passed when I saw the same man coming to the shop again. He asked the shop owner to check the bill again and said the bill was Rs 404 instead of Rs334. The shopkeeper sounded a little indignant, but the moment he heard bill should be Rs 404 instead of Rs 334 he calmed down. He checked the bill and with a grin agreed that the bill should be Rs 404/-. With a smile the man gave him the balance and disappeared on the busy street.

I was in all awe for this Good Samaritan. Any other guy wouldn’t have bothered. Or maybe would think he saved some money. And to save that money would sell his honesty, his sincerity. 


I have read a lot on honesty in books and I always remember my teacher who reminded us “honesty is the best policy”. Today I saw a practical example. I got a good lesson today. It helped me to ignite the flame of honesty in me. Salutes to the Good Samaritan who taught me and others a good lesson!

No comments: