Thursday, August 18, 2011

India Against Corruption

Dear friends,

Today, I attended the relay fasting on the 2nd day of the India Against Corruption Movement – The Second Freedom Struggle of India in Chennai at Adyar.

Before I could really decide, many thoughts flowed and cluttered my mind. What will happen if crowd becomes violent? Will police open fire? Or will they detained me? I have to apply for passport reissue and if police detains me I may not be able to apply easily etc. Nevertheless I decided I want to spend one day for the Nation. If I can spare one day for my birthday, why can’t I spare a day for my Nation! This thought propelled me and I participated in the relay fast on 17th August.

On visiting the venue, I could see more smiles than anger or frustration! People were in an agitated mood but “Yahan pe Josh ke saath Hosh tha”. I was promptly registered by Mr. Balakrishnan, a senior citizen in his sixties volunteering for IAC. I was given the instruction sheet for fasting which clearly mentioned to drink lots of water and be peaceful with other instructions!

Inside the venue, I saw people on the stage. They were 30 of them on indefinite fast. Below them on the carpet were a few (around 25 to 30) people fasting for a day (relay fast). And there were more than 70 to 100 people seated in chairs who were there to support them.

Throughout the day, I sat there, shouted slogans, sang “Vande Mataram” and other patriotic songs, interacted with other participants, saw the live interviews taken by TV channels and meditated as well! People kept on pouring one after another. These included college students from SRM and MGR University, Actor Sarath Kumar, ExNoRa chief Mr. Nirmal, school children with their parents and teachers. It was a charged atmosphere and I could feel the pulse. Everybody was breathing for a change. And that change was for making India Corruption Free!

In the evening before the day’s program got over, there was a candle light vigil with everybody holding candles and praying for success of the movement. I could realize all my apprehensions were unfounded. The police was in fact very supportive. When I was leaving the venue the policeman (with 3 stars on his shoulders) gave me big smile and I could shake hands with him!

As I was riding back home, I could feel that something in me had changed! For a few moments, I had stopped thinking about myself. In fact I was not thinking at all. Only one thing lingered in the mind. I have stand up. I have to be Anna. The whole India is Anna and we will eradicate corruption from this Nation!

Friends, the Nation awaits for you. The reigns of the nation are in your hands. You can sit back and watch saying “nothing will happen” or be the elements of Change.

Choice is yours!

If you want to participate and support the IAC movement, please join us @ 153, LB road, besides HDFC bank, Adyar. You can visit the website www.iacchennai.org or www.indiaagainstcorruption.org and register yourself. Motivate others to Join the movement and come in large numbers.

Remember the Nation awaits one step from you and we are poised for a Giant Leap!

Jai Hind! Vande Mataram!

Amit Kalyani

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Lokpal_Bill



1 comment:

Basit said...

Good going Amit!!! Let us all join hands together for this very important cause! We are doing the same in Mumbai!!! Jai Hind!!!